2 Days: San Francisco Carnaval
San Francisco, Mission District
May 26-27, 2018
(TWO SPOTS LEFT)
NOTE: As a heads up, this is the last time this class will be taught. Don't delay your registration.
The platform for the workshop is San Francisco Carnaval. We'll spend the weekend photographing various events (parade, prep-time, group activities, individuals, and much more) all with special access, typically not accessible to the public.
On Saturday, we’ll learn tips acquired over the years photographing Carnaval. We'll also review your images so you gain additional knowledge to best photograph Carnaval. Finally, we'll discuss themes and critical subjects that will get you ready for Carnaval.
On Sunday, we'll photograph the parade with special access not available to the public. The emphasis will be on individuals/groups parading, capturing special moments, anticipating actions, photographing with a storyline in mind, and much more. After the parade, we’ll review your work and provide tips on how to best post process your images.
Throughout the workshop, we'll have review sessions. This is another way to learn from the instructor, and your peers, gain insights on what others saw, and sharpen your skills.
Upon signing up for the workshop, you will receive a coursebook that details the photoshoot locations and tips on people photography.
What you'll learn:
• How to plan for street photography
• Critical elements to make your people photography stand out • How to approach people
• Tips and tricks the pros use on their photoshoots
• How to evaluate your images and select them for publishing (self, promotion, etc.)
• Photographing with privileged access
• How to immerse yourself in an event like Carnaval (not to be missed!)
Don't delay your registration. Past events did sell out. Hope to see you in May in San Francisco.
On Saturday, we will have special access to photograph groups during their rehersal. Don't miss these amazing sessions.
Oliver Klink has been photographing San Francisco Carnaval for the past 8 years. His images are featured on the SF Carnaval official website. His street image, “Herding Instinct” won the grand prize at the Rayko International Photocontest in 2014, others have received “mentioned” in the Black and White Spidar Awards for the past 5 years. “It has been 8 years, and I am still finding new inspiration to photograph SF Carnaval, which I share with the workshop participants. When you have special access to the event, your imagination is the limit. The event is phenomenal, the characters are receptive to being photographed, and the atmosphere is dynamite!”
- “Street Photography”
- Using flash effectively
- Photographing with meaning in mind, building a story
- Photographing with special access
- Review of images (emphasis on “what else can I do”)
- Brainstorming sessions (theme, story telling, portfolio, hero shots)
- Post processing and workflow (efficiency, accuracy, quality)
- 1 1/2 days of guided photoshoot
- Instruction booklet emailed before the workshop
- Transportation to San Francisco
- Meals, accommodation
Registration Fee : $325
Terms and Conditions
- Plan on walking a few miles to follow the parade. Options will be presented to limit the walking
- Not much else … Have a great time!
Where: San Francisco
When: May 26-27, 2018
Who: Oliver Klink
Airport: San Francisco (SFO)
Accommodations: not included
Weather: 60 – 80F. Possible foggy morning and Moody Sky
Workshop details for San Francisco Carnaval