Tanzania (Africa): The Great Migration and The Big Cats
Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Ndutu
December 8-20, 2016
Our photo safari is designed to maximize wildlife viewing (aka minimize driving time and distance, choosing hotels at close proximity to the photoshoot locations), whether it is for serious photography or simply the thrill of observing animals in their natural habitat.
The safari is scheduled during an exciting time of the year, when many animals have their young. The landscape is green and lush, the air is fresh, and there are few tourists. This is the time of the year, where you will experience Africa in peace, without countless vehicles surrounding wildlife. This is the magic of the short rainy season in East Africa.
The places we'll visit are top notch for The Great Migration and The “Big Cats”. You'll travel in a 4x4 vehicle and each photographer has a full seat row to himself/herself (*if you join as a couple, you'll share one row seat). It guarantees access to both sides of the vehicle so you don't miss any action.
You'll also benefit from group lectures (focus on image quality, workflow speed and accuracy) and one-on-one reviews where we discuss “what can you do next, how can you expand your comfort zone, make images that have a personal flair”. The experience will enable you to enhance your photography, to work on personal projects, and to discover who you are as a photographer. Our style is to open your eyes, mind, and creativity to possibilities that you thought were not reachable. Bring your dreams to reality in this once in a lifetime workshop.
We’ll have exquisite nature and wildlife and the following added experience:
1. Oliver Klink's technical expertise covers the gamut from DSLR, to mirrorless camera, to digital medium format camera. You’ll receive first hand advices that he uses on a daily basis with his various cameras. He will build your confidence so you get ready for “the shot”.
2. Oliver teaches you how to photograph and find a vision for your photographic endeavor. There are no substitutes to nightly image reviews, one-on-one instructions, and guidelines to best capture these amazing scenes. You’ll be able to get creative day after day and get inspired by the wealth of knowledge he shares.
3. Our group is kept to 5 people maximum, which enables us to be nimble and find the best spots to experience wildlife.
4. Prime dates for the trip. The animals are healthy, have their young, and contrast with the background (lush green). We also avoid the tourist and holiday rush.
5. Come back home with images and experience you dreamed about. It is finally going to be real!
6. This is a true 13 days safari. The trip starts and ends in Arusha, Tanzania. No gimmicks about including traveling days from and to your home country.
7. Internal flights included to maximize time for wildlife viewing.
8. We'll modify the seating arrangement in the 4x4 vehicle to have more space for low angle shooting and setting up tripods for special photoshoots.
9. Special access to wildlife viewing, special setting in the 4x4, parks scouted for best wildlife opportunity, unique photoshoot opportunities - A safari workshop designed for photographers to make dreams come true!
Hope to see you in December at our Tanzania Wildlife Experience.
Double Occupancy: $9,350
Single room supplement: $1,400
Example Images from Past Workshops
Oliver Klink has been photographing in Africa since 2006. His focus has been Kenya for the elephants and Tanzania for the African wildlife. His image, “The Great Migration” won the grand prize at PhotoCentral Gallery Spring Show in 2013, others have received “mentioned” in the Black and White Spidar Awards for the past 5 years. “On my first trip to Tanzania, I wanted to see everything. I spent more time driving from famous locations to famous locations. After so many years, I have minimized the travel time to stop at parks that are unbelievable for specific species. This workshop is not a “zoo tour”. During our first review session, I will ask you: “Can this image be taken in a zoo?” Our local guides are passionate about wildlife and eager to be the first one out in the morning and last one in in the evening. Time spend in the field is key to embrace this one in a life time experience.”
Two local staff members (drivers and guides) who enrich our stay with the most current information, special activities, and “ways in” to places you only dream about!
- Photographing wildlife from portraiture to environmental shots
- Getting sharp images with a concept attached to them
- Photographing with special access (Off road)
- Incorporating the grand landscape with wildlife
- Understanding light (what do you do middle of the day?)
- Daily review of images (emphasis on “what else can I do”)
- Brainstorming sessions (theme, story telling, portfolio, hero shots)
- Post processing and workflow (efficiency, accuracy, quality)
- 13 days of guided photoshoot
- Local flights inside Tanzania
- Accommodation, Meals, ground transportation
- Special permits & Entrance fees
- Instruction booklet emailed before the workshop
Not Included :
- Transportation to and from Arusha Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO)
- Transport from Kilimanjaro airport to hotel
- Personal expenses, alcoholic beverages
- Travel Insurance
- Extra night(s) in Arusha
- Tips to local staff
Double Occupancy: $9,350
Single room supplement: $1,400
$1,000 (Double Occupancy)
$1,500 (Single Occupancy)
Full payment due by July 31, 2016 (payable by check)
Terms and Conditions
- Patience is key as we’ll spend quality time at each location to observe the wildlife, capture unique images and mood.
- If you are interested in photographing elephants, I would recommend joining the Kenya workshop, which is specifically design to photograph them.
- We are traveling on highways and local unpaved bumpy roads.
- However, the photographic opportunities are incredible. It is an amazing adventure and photographic experience.
Workshop details for The Great Migration and the Big Cats (Tanzania)